Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Duck lesson

Part 1
I don't like ducks. I know that's weird but that's just how it is. Our hospital has a duck pond and I have to walk by a bunch of them every day going in. They quack and squawk and sit in the way in the middle of sidewalk.  I think there's one who waits for me just to be mean. 
Part 2
Today I had to tell a patient that he has cancer. He and his wife knew it was a possibility but now it's confirmed. We had a long conversation about the plan and what's next and his prognosis. We tried to address his worries about work  and money. And then-he caught he off guard. He told me bird watching is a hobby of his and he had spent the past week looking out at the beautiful pond and ducks. He asked if he could go by wheelchair out to enjoy the ducks.
Ducks....the same ones I spend every morning grumbling about. The same ones that I wish weren't there. The same ones I take for granted that I am able to walk by. 
It's all about perspective. What is bothersome to me is beautiful to someone else-at a time when he needs and deserves beauty and peace. 
Something to remember tomorrow morning as I pass the ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment