Monday, July 16, 2012

89 and counting...

Started our adventure last night with a trip to a pharmacy at 12am to pick up medications needed for the clinic. San Jose is an interesting city-especially in the middle of the night! This morning we arrived at La Carpio to set up. La Carpio is a neighborhood in San Jose made up of immigrants. The roads are dirt and uneven-undrivable. Houses are made from some concrete and mostly scrap metal pieces. Dogs and roosters wander freely around looking for scraps.  People have so little  yet they are a strong community together. You see 10 year olds taking care of younger siblings and young teenage moms taking care of nieces and nephews. It truly is a family.  Clinic kicked off and I saw 89 patients! Y'all, on a normal day at work I see 15-20. A super busy clinic day might be 40. It was C-RAZY!!!  Excitement included a tuberculosis diagnosis and a scalp laceration that I stitched (haven't done that in a while, but it's like riding a bicycle I guess-it all came back). The people, as always, were so welcoming. The kids especially love to give hugs and sit on my lap. I love how trusting and happy and unspoiled they are.  Now we are back at the hotel to clean up after lice, ringworm and a whole lotta "gripa" (congestion/cold) and then head to dinner. Our whole group here is a blessing and I especially love that Micah and I get to share this time together. It's unmatchable. I am exhausted but can't wait to get back there to do it again tomorrow. I may just send for my boys and never leave this place-it's my peace.  Hasta la manyana!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah!!! 89 people!! Unbelievable!! I am so jealous!!!!! I am praying for you, and I am so happy that you and Micah are there together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 89! That's amazing! You're amazing! What a blessing you, Micah, and your team are to the people of La Carpio. And you guys will be so blessed by the experience.

    Let me know if you guys decide to stay. We just might join you. I've always said I'm gonna move to Costa Rica and accept chickens for barter.

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete