Thursday, August 23, 2012

Let the chaos begin!

And so it begins...
Meet the teacher, school supplies, soccer practices, new preschool, the list feels never ending. Some days I feel like I need a secretary to coordinate everything for me and tell when to be where with who. And then try to fit in patients, paperwork, call, weekends rounding, Micah's travel schedule - I am exhausted and it's just starting! Summer is officially over and fall chaos has begun...

I begin to ask the question when I drive between soccer and gymnastics in rush hour traffic-is it worth it? Is it worth the 10 minute turn around time? Is is worth the stress that I still haven't finished my
documentation for the day? Is it worth the bags in the car that carry snacks, bug spray, equipment, changes of clothes-everything to survive should we happen to be trapped in the wilderness for days.

And always when I've made it down off my ledge the answer is yes. Extracurricular activities allow for  life experiences that are important for my boys. They get the chance to choose something, to work hard at it and be proud of their improvement and success. They get to be an individual. They learn to lose and fail and get back up again. They learn how to manage their time and how to share finite time with their brothers. They learn they are a part of a family who always supports and cheers for each other at every practice and every game. Most importantly they learn about themselves. Characteristics-strengths and weaknesses unique to them. For example, My oldest is a crazy hard worker-he gives 110% percent all the time. But he's really hard on himself when he  loses and takes it personally. My middle loves to try new skills and has no fear of failure. But he's not a great team player. These are attributes that will impact their life. They are learning how to handle learning who they are in a safe environment with our encouragement and guidance.

Now don't get me wrong, I am definitely a type A OCD personality but I refuse to let these "things" take over our family. I actually make a concerted effort  not to over schedule or commit (admittedly with varying results). My boys know they are allowed one extracurricular activity at a time. They know family
commitments come first, school second, activities third. They know they are expected to contribute to family responsibilities and help around the house to manage our time.

But the reality is that with 3 boys and a mom and dad that work, it adds up. It does. It's a lot. Most nights I go home and crash. Micah and I have to sync our schedules way in advance. We have to sometimes adjust call nights or work meetings to accommodate activities. 

But it works for our family. We eat together every night. We go to church together. We have dedicated family time together. We do life together. We enjoy it together and we enjoy each other. 

So as I sit at gymnastics typing this, I will remember that these are the times and memories that will never come again and cherish them...and smile all the way to the soccer field.

No comments:

Post a Comment