Friday, March 15, 2013

Crazy ways

Yesterday I had a smallish breakdown at the post office--no details needed by it was not my proudest moment. I left frustrated and angry. As the day went on (I let) those darks feelings grow. I cried, I complained, I wallowed in my own self pity. 

Now this wasn't all about the post office, mind you, but about my feelings and homesickness in general. 

Overall things are improving. I have a daily routine, new friends, little favorites. But you know when you have that small inkling of negativity that you just go wild and snowball? By the time I was ready to go to bed last night I was broken and defeated. 
I tossed and turned all night and this morning I woke up deciding I had to take back my peace. I refuse to let a little step backwards undo all of the forward progress and confidence that I'm building. I refuse to be bitter and resentful over something so insignificant.

So off we went back to the post office first thing today, even before I took the boys to school. I stepped up smiling to the same lady that caused me grief the day before and handed her my paperwork and money. I told her "I want to apologize for our misunderstanding yesterday. I am new here and learning and sometimes I get frustrated. I hope I have everything you need today." She smiling back and thanked me and apologized for not being more helpful.

and then the crazy part started...

 A man behind me stepped up and said "I overheard you. Are you having trouble with your Norwegian? Can I help?" It started a conversation and it turned out we have a mutual acquaintance through the church here. The post lady interrupted and asked if I really went to church (I told you it's not common.) " What do you do there? Why do you go? I want to learn about Christianity but I don't know how." 

We talked for a few more minutes and answered some things and told her some of the things God has shown me in my life (yes, this is all happening at the post office counter!) The man invited her to a Norwegian church and she was so excited!

God works in crazy crazy ways. It's not always the big kneeling moments in church or the quiet prayerful times, sometimes He speaks to you in the post office. "You are here for a purpose. Your helplessness and fear and anger lead to extraordinary moments if you will just swallow your pride, get over yourself and follow Me."

I'm not always obedient but today I was and God showed me the good that is waiting. It's those moments of clarity that recenter me.

 He found me.

 In the post office.

 Wow.

Today is a good day.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! We serve a big God that never ceases to amaze me. Thank you for opening up your heart.

    ReplyDelete