Saturday, May 25, 2013

My favorite day


Today was my most favorite day in Norway to date. I wanted to share...

This morning we had an impromptu breakfast outside with our Norwegian neighbors. We ate waffles with jam while the kids explored in the woods and jumped on the trampoline. It's really amazing how quickly things turned from bare branches and icey winter to bright green and beautiful blooming flowers. 

Then we rode our bicycles to a little island near us. The weather was sunny and warm-a very welcome change.

We spent the day at the beach. The big boys played on the rocks in the water. They collected oysters and clams and caught crabs. They scrambled in and out of the cold water and filled buckets with their finds.  They would deliver the full buckets to us and then sprint back out for more. Owen spent his day digging  in the sand and building "homes" for all the displaced creatures. 

I love watching them work together. I spend so much time refereeing battles, I relish the moments that they realize they actually like each other.

We were surrounded by Norwegians all doing the same thing and enjoying the day. Grilling, playing volleyball, building castles, watching the boats and cruise ships go by. People in the water kayaking, sailing, and a few brave swimmers.

This all sounds simple and ordinary, but that's the point.
It felt normal. It felt peaceful. It felt like home.
I think today is the first time I can say that. 

I'm a thinker. An analyzer. That's no secret. I am constantly trying to put my thoughts into perspective and find the deeper meaning. I don't often take things at face value. I journal a lot about finding my place here in this country and in the world. What is the purpose, God's plan? 

Those things are definitely important to me,  but I am the first to admit I can get lost in my own thoughts. I can overthink while life passes by. 

I lived the day today. I was a part of every sound, smell, sight. I felt the happiness of being with my sweet boys, I laughed with my husband, I laid in the sand and talked about what shapes the clouds were making. 
I let myself enjoy without any other thoughts or plans. God has made an amazing world and I don't often enough stop and just indulge in the miracle that is today. 

Today was my favorite day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment