Monday, January 7, 2013

Choose your own adventure

Its crunch time! We are less than a week away from our big move. The ship has sailed (literally) with all of our belongings, the car has been sold,  the boys have been withdrawn from school, we are winding up loose ends.

I am (mostly) ready and excited about getting there and getting settled. But then sometimes I wake up and think "what are we doing? Really? Can we change our minds?" We are leaving a comfortable place. We are leaving great friends, schools, a job I love, family, our house. At times, I think that's absolutely crazy and wrong and I'm really not sure it's all ok. (except maybe at 2am on Sunday night when the hospital is calling again for the umpteenth time)

Micah and I were talking last night and he said something that really made a difference. He said we could live the next 2 years in the same way we have been and it would all be good-we would never know the difference.  Or we could jump in and spend the next 2 years having experiences and opportunities that would mold and change us and that we would remember for ever. He's right (don't tell him I said so). There isn't a right or wrong choice here but diverging paths. 

It's like the books I loved to read as a kid "choose your own adventure". You would get to points where you had to pick from A or B and you would be directed to a different page. Your story would be different everytime based on your choice and your ending would change. Except I used to read them backwards. I would find the ending I wanted and then work backwards to figure out how to get there. 

I guess this really isn't that different. I know the ending I want and I'm making choices to get there. I want to live life for God. I want to see the world and help where and when I can. I want to experience it holding hands with my best friend. I want my boys to have an understanding outside of themselves and their bubble. I want them to see the bigger picture and what really matters. I want them to find their passion in living for God and what that looks like for them. 

Bottom line, I think stepping out of our comfort zone is a choice that will lead me that direction. Although its sad and scary and uncomfortable, it's necessary. God has a plan for me and my family. It's not the same plan I had made. I look forward to what lies ahead...if I can just make it through this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment